Parsons’ research group studies chemical reactions on surfaces, with focus on thin film formation by Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD). We work to discover and explain new fundamental understanding of chemical reactions on surfaces, and develop innovative atomic-scale chemical processes to create new functional materials, structures and devices. Current areas of interest are:
- Fundamental reactions during ALD and related processes, including Molecular Layer Deposition (MLD) and Vapor Metalation.
- Process scaling and transition to Spatial ALD.
- Film nucleation and substrate selectivity.
- ALD on natural and synthetic polymers and fibers.
- ALD coatings for energy storage and generation, including supercapacitors, photovoltaics and photoelectrochemical systems.
- Improvements on scalability of MOF composite production.
- Exploration of bio-based ligands and benign synthesis of mesoporous MOFs.
- MOF composites using porous support structures.